ANC 2B would like to thank those who participated in our recent survey on the use of outdoor space for sidewalk cafes. (For reference, here are the ANC’s current guidelines.)
As previously announced, ANC 2B is also holding a community meeting this evening on the topic. In advance of that discussion, we’d like to share high-level results of the survey:
- There were over 230 responses, with the majority being residents of Dupont Circle and living on/near a mixed-use block.
- Respondents largely feel that there are either too few or just the right number of establishments which may have sidewalk cafes / outdoor restaurants.
- Most respondents typically patronize sidewalk cafes at least 2-3 times per month.
- No one closing time is preferred by a majority of respondents, though the preferred distribution of closing hours was later for Friday and Saturday evenings than for Sunday through Thursday evenings.
- A majority of respondents believe that the appropriate time to close sidewalk cafes / outdoor restaurants should be impacted by such factors as whether alcohol is served, whether there is amplified noise, and/or whether there is full food service being offered until closing.
The complete survey results can be found here. We appreciate the diversity of opinions and willingness to share your thoughts.
We look forward to seeing you at ANC 2B’s public space community meeting on Monday, October 22nd at 7:00 pm at the Society of the Cincinnati at the Anderson House, 2118 Massachusetts Avenue NW.
Chair, Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2B