The ABRA Committee of ANC2B will discuss revisions to existing guidelines for alcohol service in outdoor space at its 8:00 p.m. (note time change), September 17, 2014, meeting. Draft minutes of the ABRA Committee’s August 20, 2014 meeting follow.
ANC 2B ABRA (Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2B Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration) Committee
Draft Minutes– Wednesday, August 20,2014, Dupont Circle Resource Center
Next Meeting: 8:00 p.m. (note time), Wednesday, September 17, 2014
Member Attendance: Chair: Commissioner Abigail Nichols (2B05) (replaced Kevin O’Connor at June 2014 ANC meeting), Ruth Horn, Dupont Circle Citizens Association (2B01); Ramon Estrada, at large (2B09); Caroline Mindel (2B08)
Others: Elwyn Ferris, Jonathan Padget, Sarah Peck
Committee Mission. Abigail distributed the relevant pages of the ANC2B manual that describe the mission of the ABRA Committee. She noted that the committee has no authority but rather makes recommendations to the Commission. Therefore it is important that resident members keep-in-touch-with/lobby their commissioners about committee recommendations.
Meeting administration. All meetings are public meetings. Ruth Horn and Jonathan Padget agreed to help with communications for the committee.
Membership: The Committee agreed we should aim for resident members directly affected by the various alcohol business areas. Jonathan Padget from the west P Street area agreed to be nominated for committee membership. The committee needs a member living close to the 17th Street establishements.
Abigail will reach out to our business members to discuss how we can make best use of their expertise.
- Ozio Board Order limiting roof top music
- Chi Cha Lounge where the ABC board did not support residents complaints
- Café Asia – August 15 lifting of summary suspension
- Saloon 45 Hearing, August 6, where Councilmember Jack Evans and ANC2B argued against any license being granted. Sarah Peck said this is an important part of the protest process and that it is not too late to ask to submit findings of fact and conclusions of law. The hearing lasted 8 ½ hours; there was discussion of why this was.
Problem Areas and Information Sharing:
- Jonathan Padget described noise created by catered evens at Anderson House; he has been working with the manager there. Said MPD would only respond to complaints about noise that was disturbing the neighborhood after 10 pm.
- Ruth Horn and Caroline Mindel described voice noise disturbances (in contract to amplified music)
- Ruth Horn said that protestants should realize that there avenues of appeal beyond the ABC Board decision.
Committee Activities: Members agreed to work on the following tasks:
- Ramon Estrada will recruit a committee intern
- Caroline Mindell will consult Elwyn Ferris and explore how tracking ABRA enforcement actions can inform neighbor work with alcohol establishments.
- Abigail Nichols will begin modifying the March 2011 ANC2B “Guidelines on Sidwalk Café/Outodor Restaurant Use to include outdoor alcohol service on privately-owned space.
- The Committee will invite Tom Lipinsky from Councilmember Jack Evans to a future meeting.
- The Committee will look for opportunities to describe the many trouble-free settlement agreements and other neighbor/establishment successes.
- The Committee will anticipate the April 11, 2015, expiration of West Dupont Circle Moratorium.
Agenda for Next Meeting: Outdoor alcohol service and use of ABRA data on enforcement.