Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2B will hold a special community meeting in order to gather community input regarding public space management for sidewalk cafes in Dupont Circle.
The meeting will be on Monday, October 22nd at 7:00 pm at the Society of the Cincinnati at the Anderson House, 2118 Massachusetts Avenue NW. Community members are encouraged to attend, ask questions, and offer feedback.
Additionally, in response to community member requests, ANC 2B has extended the deadline for the ANC’s Public Space Survey. The new deadline to complete the survey is Sunday, September 30th at 11:59 pm and the survey is available here.
The results of the survey and the community meeting will assist the ANC in drafting proposed changes to the ANC’s Public Space Guidelines. The ANC plans to consider the proposed changes during the ANC’s regular November meeting on Wednesday, November 14th.
Please let your single member district commissioner know if you have any questions about the Public Space Survey or the community meeting. We look forward to receiving your input.
-This statement has been updated to include the name of the individual who was killed.
ANC 2B is saddened by the death of Carlos Sanchez-Martin on Friday, September 21st in Dupont Circle. According to reports, Mr. Sanchez-Martin was killed by a person driving an SUV while he was riding a scooter in the area.
“This incident points out that the District’s broad vision of creating a safe and efficient multi-modal transport system has yet to be realized and will not be achieved without proper enforcement, education, and infrastructure changes. As one of the mostly densely populated neighborhoods at the forefront of the adoption of the latest modes of transport in the District, we must figure out how to create safe streets for all,” says ANC 2B Chair Daniel Warwick.
ANC 2B takes the safety of community members very seriously and, to this end, has passed a number of resolutions related to Vision Zero in recent months. The Commission will be discussing potential next steps with the District Department of Transportation (DDOT), the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD), and Councilmember Jack Evans’ office regarding deliberate and focused measures to protect the lives of all residents and visitors, whether driving, walking, or riding a bicycle or scooter. We welcome community feedback on potential measures.
Please reach out to your single member district commissioner with questions or comments.
In observance of the Yom Kippur holiday, ANC 2B has rescheduled our September Transportation and Public Infrastructure (TPI) Committee meeting for Tuesday, October 2nd at 7:00 pm at the Dupont Circle Resource Center, 9 Dupont Circle NW. The agenda for the committee meeting will be published closer to the meeting date.
The committee will not meet on Wednesday, September 19th.
ANC 2B will not hold our monthly Transportation and Public Infrastructure (TPI) Committee meeting on Wednesday, August 15th.
ANC 2B will hold its July Transportation and Public Infrastructure (TPI) Committee meeting on Wednesday, July 18th at 7:00 pm at the Dupont Circle Resource Center, 9 Dupont Circle NW.
The agenda includes:
- Welcome and review of meeting norms
- Discussion of proposed traffic safety improvements at the intersection of 19th Street and T Street NW
- Discussion of proposed pedestrian safety improvements on Massachusetts Avenue NW between 17th Street and 18th Street
- Discussion of proposed public space improvements as part of the Stead Park Recreation Center Project, including updates to the P Street NW sidewalks, plantings, hardware, and bike parking
- Discussion of a proposed resolution requesting increased enforcement and education of traffic laws by the Department of Public Works and the Metropolitan Police Department
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the above agenda items, please reach out to your single member district commissioner and TPI Committee Co-Chair Randy Downs.
Additionally, while not scheduled for discussion, the TPI Committee would like to note that all of the materials for the proposed pedestrian, cyclist, and curbside management safety improvements along 17th Street NW can be found here.
About ANC 2B’s Transportation and Public Infrastructure (TPI) Committee
The purpose of the Transportation and Public Infrastructure (TPI) Committee is to promote a safe and effective transportation system for the residents and visitors of Dupont Circle and improve the use of public space in our neighborhood.
Co-Chairs of the TPI Committee
- Randy Downs (Commissioner, 2B05) and Scott Davies (Commissioner, 2B09)
ANC 2B Appointed and Confirmed Committee Members
- Susan Volman – Resident of SMD 2B04
- J. Alan Rueckgauer – Resident of SMD 2B02
- Thomas Hay – Resident of SMD 2B09
- Matt Johnson – Resident of SMD 2B06
- Lawrence Sprowls – Resident of SMD 2B04
- Matthew Sampson – Resident of SMD 2B01
- David Suls – Representative from the Golden Triangle BID
The role of the TPI Committee serves as a forum for discussing matters related to the following and making recommendations to the ANC:
- Parking in the neighborhood, including valet applications, loading zones, the enhanced residential parking program and visitor parking
- Pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure and safety
- Beautification, repair, and streetscapes
- Public transit
- Public parks
- Matters before the DC Council related to transportation and public space
The committee will serve as a resource for commissioners and as a point of contact for DDOT, the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Administration (WMATA) and the DC Water and Sewer Authority (WASA). Commissioners may seek guidance from the committee on public space applications in their Single Member Districts. The committee will facilitate training for commissioners and others on transportation issues and host meetings to gather public input. The committee will also develop guidance for consideration of public space issues for review by the ANC.