DDOT Releases 2013 Parking Action Agenda
Action Agenda Designed To Restructure And Better Focus Parking Management In The District
(Washington, DC) Today the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) released its Parking Action Agenda for 2013 to restructure and better focus parking management in the District.
In the past decade, the District of Columbia has witnessed substantial growth in population and visitors, enhanced economic activity, and an increasing density of the urban environment. Changing transportation and land use patterns have led DDOT to revisit the issue of parking and its role in the overall transportation network.
This agenda creates a roadmap for DDOT to best assess the state of parking in the District, investigate innovative curbside management strategies, evaluate the benefits and impact of these tools and approaches upon the District, and outlines an implementation plan to holistically restructure the District’s parking system. DDOT anticipates that a comprehensive approach to some of the most challenging policy issues will be presented in the summer.
The agenda was compiled based on the public input DDOT received from the various community conversations (Parking Think Tanks) that were held this past fall to gauge the state of parking in the District of Columbia.
The 2013 Parking Action Agenda is comprised of the following seven key points:
· Evaluating and identifying ways to update the Residential Permit Parking (RPP) Program;
· Creating a new, more flexible Visitor Parking Pass (VPP) program;
· Enhancing parking opportunities for individuals with limited mobility;
· Improving access to, and turnover of, on street parking in congested areas;
· Improving communication with the public about parking challenges and opportunities;
· Increasing online parking services; and
· Clarifying agency responsibilities to enhance transparency.
The agenda also includes a summary of the feedback from the Parking Think Tanks that shaped the above mentioned key points and timelines for next steps.
To view the agenda please visit: http://ddot.dc.gov/DC/DDOT/